Our Commitment to Privacy
Protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information is an important aspect of the way Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck conducts its business. Collecting, using, and disclosing personal information in an appropriate, responsible, and ethical manner is fundamental to our daily operations.
Personal information is defined as any identifying information about an individual or group of individuals, including name, date of birth, address, phone number, email address, social insurance number, nationality, gender, health history, financial data, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, assets, debts, liabilities, payment records, opinions, and personal views.
Business information is defined as business name, address, telephone number, name(s) of owner(s), executive officer(s), and director(s), job titles, business registration numbers, and financial status. Business information is treated and handled with the same level of confidentiality, privacy, and respect as personal information.
Consent occurs and is obtained when an individual signs an application or other form containing personal information, thereby authorizing Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck to collect, use, and disclose the individual’s personal information for the purposes stated on the form or in the Appropriate Use section of this policy.
Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck collects and uses personal information solely for the purpose of conducting business and developing an understanding of our clients. Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck hereby asserts that personal information will only be used for the following purposes:
- To provide legal services to you in accordance with your instructions.
- To fulfill legal and professional obligations, including client identification and verification rules and other requirements as mandated by The Law Society of Upper Canada.
- Avoid conflicts of interest.
- To share personal information with third parties for the purpose of providing legal services in the context of legal proceedings, including conducting litigation, arbitrations, mediations or other proceedings. Such third parties may include opposing parties, parties in interest, opposing, and other counsel and advisors, witnesses, courts, adjudicators, arbitrators, other decision-makers and experts.
- To maintain develop and manage our document management, precedent systems and databases.
- For administrative, management and business purposes, such as to issues invoices, administer accounts and process payments.
- For any other purpose for which we have your consent.
Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck assumes full accountability for the personal information within its possession and control.
Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck obtains personal information directly from the individual to which the information belongs. Individuals are entitled to know how their personal information is used and we will limit the use of any personal information collected only to what is needed for those stated purposes.
Under no circumstances will Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck sell, distribute, or otherwise disclose personal information or contact lists to third parties. However, limited disclosure may be required as part of fulfilling our stated business duties and day-to-day operations.
Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck will retain personal information only for the duration it is needed for conducting business and as required by mandated rules and regulations with the Law Society of Upper Canada. Once personal information is no longer required, it will be destroyed in a safe and secure manner.
Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck takes all reasonable precautions to protect personal information with the appropriate security measures, physical safeguards, and electronic precautions.
Our premises are secure with restricted access to our servers.
Computer and network systems are secured by passwords. Only authorized individuals may access secure systems and databases.
Routers and servers connected to the Internet are protected by a firewall, and are further protected by virus attacks or hacking with sufficient software solutions.
In most instances Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne & Yazbeck will grant individuals access to their personal information upon presentation of a written request and satisfactory identification. If an individual finds errors of fact with his/her personal information, please notify us as soon as possible to make the appropriate corrections. Should your request be denied, we will advise you in writing of the reason.