- Post Date: March 1, 2021
- Close Date: June 30, 2021
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Bilingual Legal Assistant/Clerk performs a wide range of duties, including the following:
- Establishes and maintains calendars including but not limited to scheduling appointments, hearings, travel, and conferences, as required.
- Manage the bring-forward systems on a daily-basis to ensure important deadlines are met.
Drafting and correspondence
- Prepare legal documents including, but not limited to affidavits, briefs, motions, minutes of settlement, release agreements, retainers, etc.
- Serves and files documents for courts or tribunals as required.
- Review, proofread and edit all documentation for grammar, spelling and content accuracy in French and English.
- Respond to routine correspondence by mail, fax, email and telephone calls.
- Perform conflict searches, create and maintain files, and close files as instructed.
- Maintain electronic copies of all documentation.
- Input and validate lawyers’ time dockets in PCLaw.
- Conduct legal research by using CanLii, Westlaw Next and LexisNexis Quicklaw.
- Processes work in progress, pre-bills and final invoices using PCLaw. Tracks overdue accounts and ensures payment reminders are sent on a timely basis.
- Strictly observes confidentiality of matters arising from the lawyer-client relationship.
- Provide relief to front-desk reception.
Education and experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field.
- Working experience as a legal assistant.
- Employment and Labour Law experience an asset.
Knowledge and skills
- Fluently bilingual, with excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French.
- Good understanding of legal reference materials, procedures and legal filing system.
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills with the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
- Interpersonal skills to communicate and interact effectively with employees, lawyers, clients in person, on the phone and in writing.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office, PCLaw and document Management System.
Qualified candidates can forward resumes to [email protected].