**Update May 24, 2020**
Claims Process Beginning in the CAF/DND Sexual Misconduct Class Action
We are pleased to announce that the claims process in the CAF/DND Sexual Misconduct Class Action will begin on May 25, 2020 and will continue until November 24, 2021.
Who can make a claim? The claims process is open to all current and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces, as well as current and former employees of the Department of National Defence and the Staff of Non-Public Funds, Canadian Forces. Both men and women can obtain compensation in this process.
The Claim Form provides more information about eligibility for compensation, but anyone who meets the following criteria is strongly encouraged to apply:
- If you are a woman or you identify as LGTBQ2+, and you have personally seen, heard, or experienced sexual harassment or gender-based or LGBTQ2+-based discrimination connected to your military service or employment with DND/SNPF. (NOTE: For this category of compensation, the incident(s) you experienced must have occurred between April 17, 1985 and November 25, 2019.)
- If you experienced any of the following connected to your military service or employment with DND/SNPF:
- Sexual harassment that was targeted, ongoing, or severe;
- Sexual assault in the form of unwanted touching;
- Sexual activity to which you did not or could not consent; or,
- Sexual attack.
- (NOTE: For this category of compensation, the incident(s) you experienced must have occurred anytime before November 25, 2019.)
You may also contact our firm if you have questions about whether you should submit a claim.
When can I make a claim? The claims process will begin on Monday, May 25, 2020.
How long will I have to make a claim? The claims process will last for 18 months, with a deadline of November 24, 2021.
How do I make a claim? To make a claim for compensation or to participate in the Restorative Engagement process, you must complete the Claim Form and send it to the Administrator, along with any supporting documents. We recommend that you collect all the supporting documents you may need before filing your Claim Form so they can be filed together with your Claim Form. To access a copy of the Claim Form, please visit: https://www.caf-dndsexualmisconductclassaction.ca/. Claim Forms will be available once the claims process begins. You can call the Administrator or our firm with any additional questions you may have.
What if I need support? You may find that the class action triggers painful memories, or that preparing to submit a claim is difficult for you. We encourage you to seek support from a family member, counselor, treating health care professional, friend, or the support network that is available for assistance and support. You can also access confidential online or telephone resources to assist with the claims process, or for immediate help, ongoing support, or reporting. A list of resources is available here: https://www.caf-dndsexualmisconductclassaction.ca/en/support.